Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

November 9, 2010

Tuesday Tip

Invade Personal Space!

One of the chief rules of etiquette tells us not to invade the personal space of others.  No one likes a close talker, right?  Photographers, however, are officially exempt from this rule.  When taking photographs, especially of young children and babies, you are strongly encouraged to ignore this etiquette rule.

Don't be afraid to get close!!

Depending upon how much of a telephoto lens you have (i.e., how much you can "zoom" your camera lens), you want to be close enough to your subject so that they fill at least 85% of the frame, leaving 15% for the background.

Seems easy enough but a lot of people have a hard time with this....

How many times have you taken a picture of your child to show off their cute outfit and you are standing so far away from them that you can't even tell who the child is, let alone what they are wearing? Not only that, but when you look at the picture later you are distracted because of the laundry piled in the corner, the mail scattered on the couch, the dog, the leftover Chinese food on the table...I'm sure you get the point.

How do you avoid all these distractions and get a good shot of the outfit grandma sent you? Get in close!

When you get in close you:

1) Immediately eliminate distracting elements in the photo (goodbye Chinese food!)
2) Get a good shot of your cute child and their outfit (the purpose of the picture)
3) Get to see the child's cute expression and details in their sweet little face (that is growing and changing everyday - you'll never have this moment back)

Note:  This Tuesday Tip only applies to photographs where the background is unimportant. If, for example, you are taking a picture of your child in a pumpkin patch as part of a family Halloween activity, you would need to get some photos of your surroundings to document the outing/location. 


You'll love the results, I know you will. So go ahead, get a little closer, a little closer, and even a little closer. Scary close I like to call it. You won't be disappointed.


Christa said...

So I am loving all these good tips! Thanks for the great advice! Also, your daughter's dress is so dang cute.... gotta love Johnnie Boden! :)

Erin said...

such a great tip!! I am going through and reading all your tips right now. Thank you for sharing!!